Duplicati can't access file even after access rights have been granted

Okay, this is embarassing: the solution was there in front of our eyes all along. :flushed: Look at this:

And then this:

https://forum.duplicati.com/uploads/default/original/1X/89e3caca9c2c141ba18afc869829394fffaddb13.png

and this:

Notice something?

My default.m3lib is in the media share. But the error came from the together share (apparently I had copied the file there some time ago as a temporary backup and never deleted it. I didnā€™t realize that and kept looking at the wrong file. Iā€™m sorry for stealing your time with this.

I can say though, that I did learn some stuff, so thanks for that.

So here is what happened when I adjusted the access rights for the file that was actually causing the errors in the first place:

1. The backup job completed with a fatal error:
8 Dec 2017 21:42: Message
Fatal error
Duplicati.Library.Interface.UserInformationException: Found 1 files that are missing from the remote storage, please run repair
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.VerifyRemoteList(BackendManager backend, Options options, LocalDatabase database, IBackendWriter log, String protectedfile)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.PostBackupVerification()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String[] sources, IFilter filter)
  1. I did not run repair but just ran the backup again. And this time it finished without any error. Phew! :sweat_smile:

However, it looks to me like the ā€œfatal errorā€ was caused by the file not being backed up due to lack of access permission. In other words:

(i) duplicati backs up files but fails to access one of them and issues message (itā€™s not even a warning, which is also strange).
(ii) when the backup runs again it finds that file missing from the backup archive, thinks the database must be corrupted and asks for a repair.
(iii) when the backup runs yet another time, the file is correctly backed up (due to changed access rights) and there are no more errors.

My question: instead of assuming that there is a problem with the database, shouldnā€™t duplicati have ā€œrememberedā€ that the file couldnā€™t be backed up?

My guess is that when a file fails to be backed up, duplicati nonetheless writes it into the database as part of the backup. So this is probably what needs to be changed: only write files into the database if upload succeeded. That might save us a lot of ā€œfatal errorsā€ and unnecessary db repairsā€¦

1 Like