Duplicati 2.0.2.9 won’t start

With the latest version 2.0.2.9 does not start.
In the Task Manager, the duplicate job appears and after a few seconds it closes.

What is not starting for you - backups, the GUI, something else?

For me, I’m having troubles getting 2.0.2.9 installed - but then I’m working on a test machine that I abuse pretty reliably. :smiley:

Duplicati don’t start. :grimacing:

Here’s the error message I get when I try to run 2.0.2.9 tray from a command line (on Windows 10):

C:\Users\Me>"C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe"

C:\Users\Me>Crash!
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CoCoL, Version=1.5.0.24305, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0983de3c914beeaa' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
   at Duplicati.Library.UsageReporter.Reporter.ShutDown()
   at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain(String[] args)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod(MethodInfo method, String[] args)
Crash!
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CoCoL, Version=1.5.0.24305, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0983de3c914beeaa' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
   at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HostedInstanceKeeper..ctor(String[] args)
   at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.RealMain(String[] _args)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod(MethodInfo method, String[] args)

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CoCoL, Version=1.5.0.24305, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0983de3c914beeaa' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.<>c__DisplayClass53_0.<RunFromMostRecent>b__0()
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.WrapWithUpdater(AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy, Action wrappedFunction)
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecent(MethodInfo method, String[] cmdargs, AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy)
   at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.Main(String[] args)
   at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args)
   at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssemblyByName(String assemblyName, String[] args)
   at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssemblyByName(String assemblyName, String[] args)
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecent(MethodInfo method, String[] cmdargs, AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy)
   at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.Main(String[] args)

Edit: I’ve also found the message in my C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates\Duplicati-crashlog.txt file… @Folgore101, are you able to check you crashlog file?

Re-edit: Installing 2.0.2.8 over the non-working 2.0.2.9 and clicking the “Finish” button with “Launch Duplicati now” checked resulted in the following error:

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2753

Re-running the 2.0.2.8 installer (over the failed 2.0.2.8 failed install) ends up prompting for a Change, Repair, or Remove selection. But still a non-working install (service will start but GUI won’t load up).

@kenkendk, my guess is you have no control over this but for the record, it’s kind of scary when the installer has a status of “Removing backups”. :hushed: :blush:

Hi, i removed duplicates, deleted all the folders and then i reinstalled it.
Now it starts correctly but the problems that i had with the 2.0.2.8 version remain.
In addition now in the “Backup destination, Folder path” does not accept network paths, for example \\NAS\Test\ and i have the following error:

Fatal error
System.ArgumentException: L'oggetto deve essere una directory radice ("C:\") o una lettera di unità ("C").
   in System.IO.DriveInfo..ctor(String driveName)
   in Duplicati.Library.Backend.File.GetDrive()
   in Duplicati.Library.Backend.File.get_Quota()
   in Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.RemoteListAnalysis(BackendManager backend, Options options, LocalDatabase database, IBackendWriter log, String protectedfile)
   in Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.VerifyRemoteList(BackendManager backend, Options options, LocalDatabase database, IBackendWriter log, String protectedfile)
   in Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.PreBackupVerify(BackendManager backend, String protectedfile)
   in Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String[] sources, IFilter filter)

I need to hit a translator tool to be sure, but this seems to be the same as the error mentioned in this topic:

Sorry, i was testing the Italian translation to make some changes.
Yes the error is that, the laptop i am currently using it for testing because it presents problems previously mentioned, i wait for the next version. :slight_smile:

That is embedded in the MSI stuff, but ouch that is an unfortunate text!

That seems to indicate some packaging error. Do you still have the problem?
What version do you see on CoCoL.dll (right click-> Properties) ?

Sorry, Tuesday’s uninstall then reinstall (of 2.0.2.9) resolved the issue. But when it wasn’t working I could find no CoCoL.dll in either the Program Files or Windows trees.

My assumption was that a failed (something in use, reboot requires) in-app upgrade from 2.0.2.8 to 2.0.2.9 had gotten as far a removing old version files but not installing the new versions.

I assume it doesn’t do any good to give you the DLL version on the working copy…

Sounds very strange… The MSI is built from the zip used for the update, so I have no idea how it could be missing.

Nope :slight_smile:

1 Like

@kenkendk, if you want I can try to recreate what I did to cause the problem in the first place - but even if I do, it’s unlikely a typical user would do such silly things. :slight_smile:

@Folgore101, it sounds like your delete-then-re-install process fixed the “Duplicati 2.0.2.9 won’t start” issue for you (similar to what fixed mine), and the “must be a root directory or drive letter” issue has been addressed in the code (but not released yet). Am I missing anything?

It can be. I after uninstalled i also removed all the folders that were left.

I was hit by the same problem upgrading to 2.0.2.9 from the beta.

at Duplicati.Library.UsageReporter.Reporter.ShutDown()
   at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain(String[] args)

Ended up uninstalling and reinstalling which fixed the issue. Settings file stayed in place.

Thanks for the confirmation. If you have the time and feel like replying to any of the following questions it might help pinpoint the issue:

1. Prior to 2.0.2.9 where you running the service?
  2. Did you do the update from within GUI or as a manual download / install on top of the beta version?
  1. Yes, it was running as a service (installed by the included executable)
  2. Upgraded with the MSI file which I have downloaded separately from GitHub

Thanks! I’m not positive but it feels like most of the reported 2.0.2.9 upgrade failures involved service installs.

No problem. As far as I can remember, I have manually stopped duplicati before the upgrade though

Me too, but I also ended up having to uninstall / reinstall. :frowning:

When you say “stopped Duplicati” do you mean the tray icon, web UI service, or a combination of them?

Both

(minimum post length ballast)

I am trying a new approach for the next canary.
Instead of attempting to load/unload app-domains, Duplicati will now start the correct process and then the originally installed version will just be a “proxy” that forwards input and output.

I hope this will make the upgrade more reliable.

I have also added a new feature to the next canary:

Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.exe verify

This will do the same as LIST and return a list of the updates, but also show if any of the updates are considered “modified” and show messages indicating what changes are detected, if any.