Dupilcati Server

Storage Providers shows that Duplicati supports a big variety. It asks very little beyond simple storage.

Backup companies that provide software and storage as a combination presumably use special server software to help them with things like record-keeping, backup-checking, easy restore to new drive, etc.
I believe CrashPlan Home used to have that for home users, but it’s discontinued. Other services exist.

Until when/if Duplicati (or some third party) sells bundled storage, users are left to provide their own…

For those who are willing to set up a server and maybe risk losing it to disaster, a solution mentioned is:

https://forum.duplicati.com/search?q=UrBackup

For business users, one trend (visible even in in newer CrashPlan) is towards centralized management.

md5 & sha1 inclusion in verification json #2189 would probably speed up cloud file integrity verification, however some cloud providers do their own periodic error scrub, and also have upload integrity checks.

CrashPlan Home used to support peer-to-peer backups (the standard client was also a backup server). There has been at least one attempt (I forget its name) to bundle storage software to get near that idea.

So – lots of potential things here worth discussing (and there are other points that could be gotten into). Some of these are likely already feature requests here or in GitHub issues. I’ll let someone else look…

A standard problem for feature requests. There are always way more than can possibly ever be done…