Database recreate performance

would maybe not be coming up if, for example, there was only CLI (but people would Control-C more).
Do CLI-only backup programs attempt real-time control I wonder? My guess is no, but might be wrong.
You give people a GUI with buttons that work in some situations, not in others, and you get complaints.

The pause issue is explained elsewhere in the forum. At least currently, it mainly stops scheduled work.

Back to Control-C or whatever equivalent one’s OS uses to rudely kill some CLI process that’s running:

SQLite puts up with this quite well as far as I see, but application also needs to handle commit/rollback.
There are a couple of open issues on that which I found by accident then confirmed with lots of killing…

My current work is to try to see if I can find how to make recreate get into its dreaded dblock downloads. Without those, it’s not so bad. Until then, we rely on working with the user community to get their details.

Maybe you could take a try at seeing if you can get Time Machine interference with Duplicati database, however a really quick Internet search wasn’t showing me impacts on SQLite, which might be possible. Both programs might want exclusive use of the database at the same time, and the OS would not allow.

If so, maybe you can test the exclusion instead of risking actual slow operation @StevenKSanford is in. Consulting on macOS would also be helpful. How and using what tools can one examine performance?

Some of the other issues may be cross-platform, but they pretty much all are too vague to comment on. Suggestion might be to either open or locate relevant topics. This one is already off-topic, per topic title.

“Database recreate performance” is related to hardware, backup size, blocksize, damage to destination causing dblock downloads (from 70% and beyond on progress bar, and can also be seen in the live log), SQL query code, internal code design which might reuse general code rather than recreate-specific, etc.

@StevenKSanford how about detailing exactly and accurately (quoted message doesn’t exist) the steps leading to any database corruption? If you can do it, maybe someone else (on macOS or not) could test. Even after you know the right message, you might be able to search for some relevant prior forum notes.

You might be trying to say “The database was attempted repaired, but the repair did not complete. This database may be incomplete and the repair process is not allowed to alter remote files as that could result in data loss.” which could be looked up in code to see what it means. Or maybe you saw something else.