Continually needing repair

403 error during compact forgot a dindex file deletion, getting Missing file error next run. #4129
is another GitHub issue that explains at least one way to get an error, and it sort of agrees with

and what it’s doing wrong (at least in my GitHub issue) appears to be it’s forgetting prior deletions, possibly due to database transaction rollback. If you look in the database with a database browser, there’s lots of stuff that should be there that isn’t, but the evidence it happened is in your own logs.

A difference from original post is that my problems, both from the test case and from usual backup, repaired so far, only needing a few dblock downloads. There’s another backup I haven’t fixed yet…

Anyway, I thought I’d throw that out in case someone wants to take a closer look to see if they hit it.
Easiest way is to keep a –log-file at at least –log-file-log-level=Information, but Retry level is better.

DB Browser for SQLite or similar can be used if you really want to view DB. If Delete is in the log (or Recycle Bin) but RemoteOperation doesn’t show it, you might have hit the mentioned GitHub issue.

I kind of invited my issue (while trying to reproduce it) by setting –number-of-retries=1, but to avoid getting error-handling issues, you can crank yours higher than the default 10. Sometimes, one also needs –http-operation-timeout raised, if timeouts are happening. Basically, avoid errors in compact.

Errors in backup were an earlier fix phase (got many fixes in 2.0.5.1), but compact is more obscure.