Compact - Limited / Partial

@mikaelmello

I did not realize until half an hour ago that there was such an option, then looking at sqlite commands to compact database I learned about vavuum, and with this hint I realized that this option was available in Duplicati as well.

I have started the vacuum command (running Duplicati.CommandLine.exe vacuum URL and the --dbpath option specified, I hope this is the correct procedure) exactly 11 minutes ago: given the db size I expect this will take some 3 hours to complete.

I’ll let you know how this goes…

Thanks for the pointer!

2 Likes

Hope it all goes well, keep us posted!

Back again

Surprisingly it took just 21 minutes to complete. The db size didn’t change much: from 24Gb to 21Gb

I’ll let you know tomorrow how this affected the next backup, scheuled to start at 20:00 this evening.
Usually it takes about 5 hours (used to be 16 hours before moving the db to an SSD and setting check-filetime-only)

Thanks again!

The backup process tonight took 4hours 20minutes, not a sizeable improvement compared to the 5 hours in took before then.
In any case thanks for helping with the vaccuum command. I guess I’ll have to look elsewhere to fins the reason for the long backup times.
What I don’t understand is that the backup starts at 20:00 and I don’t know what’s it doing for the first 2 hours:

2019-01-08 20:00:00 +01 - [Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller-StartingOperation]: The operation Backup has started,
    2019-01-08 22:04:47 +01 - [Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.BasicResults-BackendEvent]: Backend event: List - Started:  (),
    2019-01-08 22:05:04 +01 - [Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.BasicResults-BackendEvent]: Backend event: List - Completed:  (12.55 KB),
    2019-01-08 23:48:02 +01 - [Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.BasicResults-BackendEvent]: Backend event: Put - Started: duplicati-ba1332b4229164271a20b379c1dd4a401.dblock.zip (49.95 MB),
    2019-01-08 23:48:22 +01 - [Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.BasicResults-BackendEvent]: Backend event: Put - Completed: duplicati-ba1332b4229164271a20b379c1dd4a401.dblock.zip (49.95 MB),

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner, but it wouldn’t have mattered since @mikaelmello already covered what I would have suggested.

The question of what’s going on for that first hour is valid - but my guess is it’s doing something like backend validation but not logging it at the normal log level.

I’d recommend either watching the ‘lastPgEvent’ block (bottom of the About -> “System info” tab) during that period or adding --log-file and --log-level=profiling to the job just long enough to see what’s going on then.

(BTW - I edited your previous post by putting “~~~” around the logs to make them easier to read.)

@JonMikelV Sorry for the delay in my reply, I was on a trip, and thanks for editing my previous post: it actually was unreadable!
I can’t watch the log while it’s running, I’ll setup the logging and report back.

@JonMikelV

So I had the log running overnight and here come the results:

• From 20:00 to 21:30 it basically listed all files the folders to ba backed up saying for each one of them
[Verbose-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileEnumerationProcess-IncludingPath]: Including path as no filters matched: /path/filename
  • Then from 21:30 to 22:03 many SQL queries as follows (just 1 example):
[Profiling-Timer.Finished-Duplicati.Library.Main.Database.ExtensionMethods-ExecuteScalarInt64]: ExecuteScalarInt64: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM (SELECT DISTINCT "Path" FROM (
  • And then the “real” backup started skipping files where they had not changed and so on

All the rest I believe is pretty much straight forward …

I only do not know if there’s anything I’m doing wrong which causes the first hour and a half basically doing something I’m not totally sure is necessary.

In any case thanks for your help.

Regards!