Benchmarking different storage providers

Sure happy to post results -

Bit about the backup set of some frequently changed documents. Testing out speed before moving onto a more slower updating dataset. For my test set - it is approx 10mb of files. In the file set, 1 file is approx 5mb and changes daily while the others change around weekly.

I am testing on speed on various backends (basically anything I can get my hands on free) with the intention for the best to become paid sometime in future.

For the speed I keep records (see file link below - funnily enough hosted on B2 hahaha!) but keep an eye on storage as well.

Observations so far:

1. The dedup is a bit disappointing - perhaps this is due to the 5mb file being encrypted excel - so the daily changes don’t seem to dedup at all and can see the backup growing steadily.

2. Box as backend has errors all the time - I put a post about this but no big resolution. The errors persist after deleting the database and even after 1st backup on a freshly made job. I just moved over to Box-over-web-dav which seems to have no errors though.

3. The giants (google / MS onedrive) do best on speed. pCloud is pretty good as well. Free services are pretty bad. Amazingly Box, aside from errors, is pretty bad speed wise - so dropped from the testing now.

4. Haven’t really tried the native sync apps except Onedrive. One thing I noticed was there is no selective sync for their app - so end up getting a (syncing) copy of the backup on my hard disk — so this is probably a dealbreaker later if I move onto backup the large data set.

Anyway, speed results in attached. Have mean and also a 95% percentile worst case time-to-complete backup (some odd outliers excluded).

Have fun

https://f000.backblazeb2.com/file/backblaze-b2-public/Duplicati_Stats.xls

2 Likes