Backup the Backup database and some cryptic messages in my logs

Technical questions like this sometimes get technical answers. Simple version – see destination dindex sizes if you like, with whatever tool shows sizes. Or, lacking that, benchmark and see which path is fast.

How the backup process works is the manual section that expains how the dindex indexes a dblock file. You don’t need to know that, just know that in Recreate, all the dlist and dindex files you see download, plus you might get some dblock. On downloading backed up DB, dblock downloading WILL be needed.

If users configure this part of the backup themselves (I don’t know who set it up), then this prevents the Export plan and leaves you with the backup of Duplicati-server.sqlite plan, as that should be up to date.

The SnapshotFailed is possibly from not running with Administrator privilege actually in use. Windows won’t create a VSS snapshot (Duplicati –snapshot-policy=required). Running as a service as SYSTEM should not have that issue, but running at login could, even on an Administrator account. Windows will generally need a UAC prompt answered by someone before it will put Administrator permission in use.

This setting controls the usage of snapshots, which allows Duplicati to backup files that are locked by other programs. If this is set to off , Duplicati will not attempt to create a disk snapshot. Setting this to auto makes Duplicati attempt to create a snapshot, and fail silently if that was not allowed or supported. A setting of on will also make Duplicati attempt to create a snapshot, but will produce a warning message in the log if it fails. Setting it to required will make Duplicati abort the backup if the snapshot creation fails. On Windows this uses the Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) and requires administrative privileges.

is not something you asked about, but because this is my third mention of it today (I hope someday it will be fixed), it indicates an interrupted backup (if that sheds any light) and is trying to build a version which is the old version plus progress on the new version before interruption. Feature is still buggy…

I found one that you originated in a How-To. Posts in Support topics do tend to be hard to find later on. Searching is possible either in the forum or externally (e.g. Google), but lots of people just ask again…