Backup never finishes but maybe is still going at few bytes/second

I’m on win10, totally new to Duplicati and wanted to try something simple out first so I made a back of ~600GB to be stored on an external 4TB drive. I don’t know if the first backup ever actually finished, clicking “Home” says so, but progress bar said 160MB left. It’s set to back up every day but it’s been several days and I’m currently at 43bytes/second with 143MB left.

Nothing appears wrong with the external drive or the source drive. I don’t see anything odd in the logs. The only “weird” thing I can think of is that I cancelled the first backup after realizing there were some big files that didn’t need back up and I moved them.

I can try deleting everything and starting over again but thought I’d ask for assistance first, also in case my issue could provide any info.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

Go to About → Show Log → Live → Verbose and check for activity there. How long ago was the latest event?

When I initially selected verbose, nothing happened, so I chose another one and it got events, but changing that level doesn’t appear to alter what I see at all. Comically, the last event just happened:

(12 occurrences between 12:16 and 12:18)

• Feb 27, 2021 12:18 PM: Failed to load assembly W:\Programs\Duplicati 2\storj_uplink.dll, error message: The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131018)
    (Full message at end)

Prior to that:

• Feb 23, 2021 8:45 PM: ExecuteScalarInt64: INSERT INTO “Remotevolume” (“OperationID”, “Name”, “Type”, “State”, “Size”, “VerificationCount”, “DeleteGraceTime”) VALUES (4, “duplicati-ib8eebbc40c544057a15bafc7f83891ae.dindex.zip.aes”, “Index”, “Temporary”, -1, 0, 0); SELECT last_insert_rowid(); took 0:00:00:00.001

• Feb 23, 2021 8:45 PM: Starting - ExecuteScalarInt64: INSERT INTO “Remotevolume” (“OperationID”, “Name”, “Type”, “State”, “Size”, “VerificationCount”, “DeleteGraceTime”) VALUES (4, “duplicati-ib8eebbc40c544057a15bafc7f83891ae.dindex.zip.aes”, “Index”, “Temporary”, -1, 0, 0); SELECT last_insert_rowid();

• Feb 23, 2021 8:45 PM: Starting - Uploading a new fileset

I do recall trying to “verify files” at some point. Here’s the full message of the latest event:

Feb 27, 2021 12:18 PM: Failed to load assembly W:\Programs\Duplicati 2\storj_uplink.dll, error message: The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131018)
{“ClassName”:“System.BadImageFormatException”,“Message”:“The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131018)”,“Data”:null,“InnerException”:null,“HelpURL”:null,“StackTraceString”:" at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(String path, Evidence evidence)\r\n at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)\r\n at Duplicati.Library.DynamicLoader.DynamicLoader`1.FindInterfaceImplementors(String additionalfolders)",“RemoteStackTraceString”:null,“RemoteStackIndex”:0,“ExceptionMethod”:“8\nnLoadFile\nmscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\nSystem.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly\nSystem.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly nLoadFile(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence)”,“HResult”:-2146234344,“Source”:“mscorlib”,“WatsonBuckets”:null,“BadImageFormat_FileName”:null,“BadImageFormat_FusionLog”:null}

After more time passed, Duplicati surprised me and gave a bunch of warning for the actual files that were cause the issue, it just literally took 6 days. I think there might be some weirdness reporting because the progress bar indicated it was stuck on one file which was not the actual issue.

The problem files were sql databases; I had forgotten about a web project I was helping a friend out with and apparently MS Sql Express runs automagically and hard locks the files, they can’t be copied or deleted. After running the management tool to stop the databases, I was able to delete them since I don’t actually need them and my backups now take a few minutes.