Automated FTP connection never works unlike manual "test connection"

Hi all,

Recently discovered duplicati after coming over from crashplan home. My setup is a usb ssd plugged into my Asus router running asuswrt-merlin. I’ve setup a dynamic dns using noip and i can ftp in to the setup no problem over the internet. I’m running ubuntu 17.04.

However, duplicati raises an error that it failed to connect upon every scheduled backup. If i go in, dismiss the error then go to “test connection” it works, and then “running now” work fine too. I’ve tried passive mode on or off, doesn’t seem to make a difference. I haven’t worked out how to setup the router via tls/ssl so thats off at the moment.

System.Net.WebException: The remote server name could not be resolved: ftp://******.myddns.me/*****/
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager.List () [0x00038] in <118ad25945a24a3991f7b65e7a45ea1e>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.RemoteListAnalysis (Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager backend, Duplicati.Library.Main.Options options, Duplicati.Library.Main.Database.LocalDatabase database, Duplicati.Library.Main.IBackendWriter log, System.String protectedfile) [0x0000d] in <118ad25945a24a3991f7b65e7a45ea1e>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.VerifyRemoteList (Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager backend, Duplicati.Library.Main.Options options, Duplicati.Library.Main.Database.LocalDatabase database, Duplicati.Library.Main.IBackendWriter log, System.String protectedfile) [0x00000] in <118ad25945a24a3991f7b65e7a45ea1e>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.PreBackupVerify (Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager backend, System.String protectedfile) [0x00066] in <118ad25945a24a3991f7b65e7a45ea1e>:0

It looks like you’re having a DNS issue.

Just as a test, can you try using your current IP address instead of the domain?

Also, are you running Duplicati as a service (which might be running under a different account and DNS settings than your regular account used during the manual test).

1 Like