"Archiving" old projects that I don't want to keep locally

Hi, relatively new user here, and it’s been working great so far.
Currently I’m backing up all my work projects with the same plan, and wanted to know if there was a good way to split it into two plans, one plan for “active” projects that I’m still working on and would update the changes and deletions that I make to the backup, and one plan to permanently archive projects I’m done with and delete the originals from my computer.
I noticed a “remove from local” flag in the advanced options but I’m not sure if it’s what I’m looking for, and if there would be any complications with adding new projects to the archive. Thanks in advance!

Duplicati would probably be a good solution for your first use case. However, for your second use case, you’re looking for cold storage, not “backup” at all (since files that are only stored in one place are not backed up). In that case you should probably just find a cheap storage solution and permanently move your files there when you’re done with them - as long as it’s not critical to you if they’re lost when something happens to that storage.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply! I am aware of how backups work, I sync the backup blocks to cloud from my external hard drive after Duplicati does its thing. Cold storage would work yes, but I want to take advantage of Duplicati’s encryption and filesize reduction features for my archives.

That would potentially work though it would create an extra hurdle in terms of restoration - but in that case I think you could just create a new backup job for a cold storage deployment, run it to completion, move the files over to the new storage location, then export the backup job configuration to a local file and delete the job locally (or at least not run it again).

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try it out!

1 Like