After update and fingerprint issue: backups gone

AUR Home would also be worth a look. Their search suggests they call it duplicati-beta-bin or something like that. I also linked to their discussions of the beta and the canary. General info place:

Arch User Repository is a Wiki that some people mention (says Google) when trying to figure it out.

Do you also use a GUI like Manjaro’s Add/Remove Software, seemingly pamac-manager?

How to Install Pamac GUI Package Manager in Arch Linux makes me wonder if Arch has it.

I don’t use Arch. I did wrestle Duplicati onto Manjaro once. Still not sure if AUR dropped the
standard /usr/bin/duplicati* programs somewhere else, or just dropped them. Tray Icon was

/usr/bin/mono /opt/duplicati/Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe --webservice-port=8200

when I tried it. Some OS gave me a dependency fight too, but I forget which OS that was on.
Dependency installation is one of the things you forego when you unpack packages yourself.
Windows tolerates this well since there are few dependencies. Linux pulls in many packages.

Search of my Manjaro system found bits in /var/tmp/pamac-build-me/duplicati-beta-bin.
There’s a duplicati-cli there and in /usr/bin, but I don’t see a duplicati or duplicati-server.
The AUR unit file does ExecStart=/usr/bin/mono /opt/duplicati/Duplicati.Server.exe, not
ExecStart=/usr/bin/duplicati-server like Duplicati-provided unit file has. I don’t know why.

In general, third-party packaging software and setups are hard for non-users to explain.

/etc/default/duplicati comparisons:

Normal:

# Defaults for duplicati initscript
# sourced by /etc/init.d/duplicati
# installed at /etc/default/duplicati by the maintainer scripts

#
# This is a POSIX shell fragment
#

# Additional options that are passed to the Daemon.
DAEMON_OPTS=""

AUR at least on Manjaro – you can check Arch:

AUTOUPDATER_Duplicati_SKIP_UPDATE=1
DUPLICATI_HOME=/var/lib/duplicati

So they disable our updater and force the databases to ~duplicati.
Question is what happens to /etc/default/duplicati on AUR update.

EDIT 1:

You can maybe get data by seeing if ls -lc /etc/default/duplicati updated on install,
however some installers might be smart and know how to preserve or merge the config files.

EDIT 2:

However maybe web search or documentation of the tools will say. Alternatively, experiment
installing older releases (if AUR keeps any around) and looking for a safe upgrade path may
pioneer the path to the presumed desired state, which is next AUR update doesn’t kill things.

The only installation I manged to see through is
the one installing canary with yay.

I have not enabled or started duplicati yet.

sudo ps -ef e | grep -i duplicati
dejhost    45934    3994  0 09:30 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep -i duplicati SHELL=/bin/bash SESSION_MANAGER=local/WorkstationII:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/1245,unix/WorkstationII:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1245 WINDOWID=92274691 COLORTERM=truecolor PYENV_SHELL=bash XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg FUNCNEST=100 XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0 XDG_MENU_PREFIX=xfce- GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/run/user/1000/keyring LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8 DESKTOP_SESSION=xfce LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 EDITOR=nano GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module:canberra-gtk-module XDG_SEAT=seat0 PWD=/usr/share/pixmaps PYENV_VIRTUALENV_INIT=1 LOGNAME=dejhost XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=xfce XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11 PANEL_GDK_CORE_DEVICE_EVENTS=0 XAUTHORITY=/home/dejhost/.Xauthority XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/dejhost MOTD_SHOWN=pam HOME=/home/dejhost LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=XFCE VTE_VERSION=7600 XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0 XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8 TERM=xterm-256color USER=dejhost DISPLAY=:0.0 SHLVL=1 LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 XDG_VTNR=7 XDG_SESSION_ID=2 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000 DEBUGINFOD_URLS=https://debuginfod.archlinux.org  LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 GTK3_MODULES=xapp-gtk3-module:xapp-gtk3-module XDG_DATA_DIRS=/home/dejhost/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop:/usr/share BROWSER=vivaldi PATH=/home/dejhost/.pyenv/plugins/pyenv-virtualenv/shims:/home/dejhost/.pyenv/shims:/home/dejhost/.pyenv/bin:/home/dejhost/.pyenv/plugins/pyenv-virtualenv/shims:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/home/dejhost/.local/share/flatpak/exports/bin:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/var/lib/snapd/snap/bin GDMSESSION=xfce DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus MAIL=/var/spool/mail/dejhost LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8 OLDPWD=/usr/share/pixmaps _=/usr/bin/grep
[dejhost@WorkstationII pixmaps]$ cat  /usr/lib/systemd/system/duplicati.service
[Unit]
Description=Duplicati
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mono /opt/duplicati/Duplicati.Server.exe --webservice-port=8200
Restart=on-abort
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/default/duplicati
User=duplicati
Group=duplicati

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

Can you please recommend a way to proceed?

which way? Remember Duplicati does not provide your package. That’s from AUR.

I’m seeing a major lack of response to my recommendations so far. Please respond.

I’m disappointed that AUR seemingly provides no directions to use what they create.

I’ve given numerous Arch, AUR, systemd, and reverse-engineering resources so far.

There are important decision points on how Arch runs which you need to investigate.

If you just want to try to bring it up, and risk a failure next update, that path is simpler.

which makes that ps pointless, since it was meant to see what AUR gave to Duplicati.

You are asking what’s known as an “upstream” to support the quirks of the packaging.
Frequently the answer is “no”. Have you considered asking Arch and AUR resources?

If you wish, we could continue to try to fumble through figuring out what AUR intended,
however the result will probably be inferior because it takes guessing at too much stuff.

The reason I am not responding to all of your suggestions/comments is because a part actually is beyond my know-how. If I want to install a software, I google the commands. That’s it. But I respond if I can.

I installed duplicati with yay -S duplicati-canary-bin

• no, I have no GUI based package manager. I installed one, and this is what it shows:

But GUI-package managers are not recommended in Endouverous, so I uninstalled it again.

Dulicati is running now, after a reboot.
System properties:

APIVersion : 1
PasswordPlaceholder : **********
ServerVersion : 2.0.7.101
ServerVersionName : - 2.0.7.101_canary_2024-03-08
ServerVersionType : Canary
StartedBy : Server
BaseVersionName : 2.0.7.101_canary_2024-03-08
DefaultUpdateChannel : Canary
DefaultUsageReportLevel : Information
ServerTime : 2024-03-26T12:42:26.209394+01:00
OSType : Linux
DirectorySeparator : /
PathSeparator : :
CaseSensitiveFilesystem : true
MonoVersion : 6.12.0
MachineName : WorkstationII
UserName : duplicati
NewLine :
CLRVersion : 4.0.30319.42000
CLROSInfo : {"Platform":"Unix","ServicePack":"","Version":"6.6.22.1","VersionString":"Unix 6.6.22.1"}
ServerModules : []
UsingAlternateUpdateURLs : false
LogLevels : ["ExplicitOnly","Profiling","Verbose","Retry","Information","DryRun","Warning","Error"]
SuppressDonationMessages : false
SpecialFolders : [{"ID":"%MY_DOCUMENTS%","Path":"/var/lib/duplicati"},{"ID":"%HOME%","Path":"/var/lib/duplicati"}]
[dejhost@WorkstationII ~]$ sudo ps -ef e | grep -i duplicati
[sudo] password for dejhost: 
duplica+    1074       1  0 10:27 ?        Ssl    0:01 /usr/bin/mono /opt/duplicati/Duplicati.Server.exe --webservice-port=8200 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8 LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/var/lib/snapd/snap/bin XDG_DATA_DIRS=/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/ USER=duplicati LOGNAME=duplicati HOME=/var/lib/duplicati INVOCATION_ID=f0afc6ca56b64f93874c1aadc0a302d9 JOURNAL_STREAM=8:27685 SYSTEMD_EXEC_PID=1074 MEMORY_PRESSURE_WATCH=/sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/duplicati.service/memory.pressure MEMORY_PRESSURE_WRITE=c29tZSAyMDAwMDAgMjAwMDAwMAA= AUTOUPDATER_Duplicati_SKIP_UPDATE=1 DUPLICATI_HOME=/var/lib/duplicati
dejhost    43339   43175  0 12:56 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep -i duplicati SHELL=/bin/bash SESSION_MANAGER=local/WorkstationII:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/1299,unix/WorkstationII:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1299 WINDOWID=127927270 COLORTERM=truecolor PYENV_SHELL=bash XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg FUNCNEST=100 XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0 XDG_MENU_PREFIX=xfce- GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/run/user/1000/keyring LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8 DESKTOP_SESSION=xfce LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 EDITOR=nano GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module:canberra-gtk-module XDG_SEAT=seat0 PWD=/home/dejhost PYENV_VIRTUALENV_INIT=1 LOGNAME=dejhost XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=xfce XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11 PANEL_GDK_CORE_DEVICE_EVENTS=0 XAUTHORITY=/home/dejhost/.Xauthority XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/dejhost MOTD_SHOWN=pam HOME=/home/dejhost LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=XFCE VTE_VERSION=7600 XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0 XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8 TERM=xterm-256color USER=dejhost DISPLAY=:0.0 SHLVL=1 LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 XDG_VTNR=7 XDG_SESSION_ID=2 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000 DEBUGINFOD_URLS=https://debuginfod.archlinux.org  LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 GTK3_MODULES=xapp-gtk3-module:xapp-gtk3-module XDG_DATA_DIRS=/home/dejhost/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop:/usr/share BROWSER=vivaldi PATH=/home/dejhost/.pyenv/plugins/pyenv-virtualenv/shims:/home/dejhost/.pyenv/shims:/home/dejhost/.pyenv/bin:/home/dejhost/.pyenv/plugins/pyenv-virtualenv/shims:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/home/dejhost/.local/share/flatpak/exports/bin:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/var/lib/snapd/snap/bin GDMSESSION=xfce DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus MAIL=/var/spool/mail/dejhost LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8 _=/usr/bin/grep

I disabled updates as you recommended. You also mentioned:

AUTOUPDATER_Duplicati_SKIP_UPDATE=1
cat /etc/default/duplicati

When it comes to DUPLICATI_HOME=/var/lib/duplicati: should’t I set the home-directory to /home/dejhost/.config/Duplicati/ and see if it picks up on the existing databases?

I’ve never heard of or used yay before.

This is a risk. Canary is not for production use. Current one seems good. Next one may not be.
I wonder if you can get a Beta instead? Did you try duplicati-beta-bin before going canary?
Alternatively since you chose a rolling release, maybe you like latest, greatest, and maybe bad.

I don’t know why your GUI installer view is different. My view somehow shows different choices:

which is current Beta but not the latest Canary. Yours shows only the latest Canary somehow.

There is a chance (I have heard no plans) that your latest Canary will turn into Beta someday.
The risk is that you are outside of the Duplicati update mechanism, because AUR chose that,
therefore whenever you update Arch there is the chance of installing a freshly broken Canary.

As usual, I’m guessing a little as to how Arch does updates, because I don’t have or use Arch.

I did not recommend that. I commented that AUR did that, so (as always) only they know why.

so it did come up as the special AUR user, as expected. Now you get to check your system to
figure out if you can live with a powerless user. Do you know anything about file permissions?

In the .config/Duplicati folder you have in mind, an ls -l will probably show the databases as
-rw------- meaning only the user (which is also shown) has access. Your file browser might
provide some easier explanation than the somewhat user-unfriendly lettering that ls provides.

You can force your way in by changing the file permissions, but the next questions are whether duplicati user is able to access and restore the files you want, and if custom setting will hold.

What did you have to do to get one? I kind of wonder if you were really on the systemd service, which we’ve seen does not run as you, yet you think that databases are in your home directory.

I don’t know how you opened Duplicati before. If you do, please say. If not, run /usr/bin/duplicati which will start Duplicati tray icon with your home directory as its config. You can then look at its data and logs to see if it looks right. If it looks bad, maybe it’s the wrong folder. Starting this way will tie up your terminal until you close Duplicati with the tray icon right-click menu, but maybe if Duplicati is on whatever Arch has as a Start menu, that might run as you without using terminal.

I have documented several installation processes. I don’t know which is the most recent one. For the tray-icon to work, I have two versions in my wiki:

1. nano /usr/lib/systemd/system/duplicati.service
  2. nano ~/.config/systemd/user/default.target.wants/duplicati.service
[Service] 

ExecStart=/usr/bin/mono /opt/duplicati/Duplicati.Server.exe --webservice-port=8200 

I uninstalled the canari-version again, and manually build the “latest”-version from AUR packages:

cd ~/duplicati-latest` `$makepkg -si

I enabled and started duplicati. It seems to run, but I don’t get a GUI.

[dejhost@WorkstationII duplicati-latest]$ systemctl status duplicati
● duplicati.service - Duplicati
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/duplicati.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2024-03-28 12:40:33 CET; 23min ago
   Main PID: 1084 (mono)
      Tasks: 18 (limit: 38324)
     Memory: 128.0M (peak: 141.5M)
        CPU: 1.192s
     CGroup: /system.slice/duplicati.service
             └─1084 /usr/bin/mono /opt/duplicati/Duplicati.Server.exe --webservice-port=8200

Mar 28 12:40:33 WorkstationII systemd[1]: Started Duplicati.

Let me do a restart…

After a restart, the GUI is available. No backups configured. Here is the system info:

System properties
ServerVersion : 2.0.6.104
ServerVersionName : - 2.0.6.104_canary_2022-06-15
BaseVersionName : 2.0.6.104_canary_2022-06-15
ServerTime : 2024-03-28T13:15:35.035097+01:00
UserName : duplicati
NewLine :
CLROSInfo : {"Platform":"Unix","ServicePack":"","Version":"6.6.22.1","VersionString":"Unix 6.6.22.1"}
LogLevels : ["ExplicitOnly","Profiling","Verbose","Retry","Information","DryRun","Warning","Error"]
SuppressDonationMessages : false
SpecialFolders : [{"ID":"%MY_DOCUMENTS%","Path":"/var/lib/duplicati"},{"ID":"%HOME%","Path":"/var/lib/duplicati"}]

The only thing that will pop open a GUI in the browser is TrayIcon. This is why I keep asking about how you used to start Duplicati, and posted a specific TrayIcon test which has not been attempted.

Please follow my requests. You’re doing the same thing, which unsurprisingly gives prior result.

It looks like you started the Server as duplicati with systemd. We saw before that it runs as user duplicati, and think AUR goes out of its way to specify DUPLICATI_HOME to /var/lib/duplicati to keep databases around the home directory of user duplicati (although not in a .config/Duplicati).

Repeating that, but still not sure if you had a tray icon before, or if you’re just asking for one now.

Introduction to the Graphical User Interface show pictures of a tray icon (but not on your system).

If you don’t use a tray icon, the web interface is usually reached with http://localhost:8200/ typed into your browser, which might then bring it back at next start if you told it to restore pages.

If it’s not there (I have a feeling that AUR removed it, as it’s not in my Manjaro VM), you could try

/usr/bin/mono /opt/duplicati/Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe --webservice-port=8200

as you after shutting down any systemctl managed duplicati and any others that are running now.

When I do that, Manjaro puts the Duplicati icon (as above) in an icon bar at lower right of screen.

Icon gives me the menu shown on a right-click, or doing a left-click just opens the web UI directly.

Did you have such an icon before to start Duplicati GUI? How did you do it before? Asking again.

Sorry for the late reply - it’s been public holidays.

The way it used to be: After boot and log into my desktop session, the tray-icon was showing in my menu. I could open/pause/quit in its pop-up window, as your screenshot shows. The icon changed its color, e.g. to red, if errors occurred, or green while performing a backup.

[root@WorkstationII dejhost]# ls -lc /etc/default/duplicati
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 70 Mar 28 13:23 /etc/default/duplicati
[root@WorkstationII dejhost]# cd /home/dejhost/.config/Duplicati/
[root@WorkstationII Duplicati]# ls -al
total 4934360
drwxr-xr-x  3 root    root          4096 Mar 28 13:22 ' #'
drwxr-xr-x  5 dejhost dejhost       4096 Mar 28 13:22  .
drwxr-xr-x 50 dejhost dejhost       4096 Mar 28 12:32  ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 dejhost dejhost       4096 Mar 22 08:28  control_dir_v2
-rw-------  1 dejhost dejhost     212992 Mar 28 13:12  Duplicati-server.sqlite
-rw-------  1 dejhost dejhost     163840 Nov 10 14:27  OVOXJAATTP.backup
-rw-------  1 dejhost dejhost  313847808 Mar 21 11:53  OVOXJAATTP.sqlite
-rw-------  1 dejhost dejhost   41295872 Mar 21 11:53  TNGIRAJFRL.sqlite
drwxr-xr-x  4 dejhost dejhost       4096 Mar 28 13:12  updates
-rw-------  1 dejhost dejhost 4697219072 Mar 28 13:12  ZDXVFMJDQM.sqlite
[root@WorkstationII Duplicati]# 
[root@WorkstationII duplicati]# ls -lc /var/lib/duplicati/
total 64
drwxr-xr-x 2 duplicati duplicati  4096 Mar 28 12:56 control_dir_v2
-rw------- 1 duplicati duplicati 57344 Mar 28 13:23 Duplicati-server.sqlite

There is no such folder /usr/bin/duplicati , but I find the TrayIcon.exe in /opt/duplicati-latest/.

[root@WorkstationII duplicati]# /usr/bin/mono /opt/duplicati-latest/Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe --webservice-port=8200
Crash! 
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Exception: A serious error occurred in Duplicati: System.Exception: Unable to open a socket for listening, tried ports: 8200
  at Duplicati.Server.WebServer.Server..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary`2[TKey,TValue] options) [0x00317] in <59054a017605435993aba9f724246795>:0 
  at Duplicati.Server.Program.StartWebServer (System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] commandlineOptions) [0x00000] in <59054a017605435993aba9f724246795>:0 
  at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) [0x00227] in <59054a017605435993aba9f724246795>:0  ---> System.Exception: Unable to open a socket for listening, tried ports: 8200
  at Duplicati.Server.WebServer.Server..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary`2[TKey,TValue] options) [0x00317] in <59054a017605435993aba9f724246795>:0 
  at Duplicati.Server.Program.StartWebServer (System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] commandlineOptions) [0x00000] in <59054a017605435993aba9f724246795>:0 
  at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) [0x00227] in <59054a017605435993aba9f724246795>:0 
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) [0x002cb] in <59054a017605435993aba9f724246795>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.InternalInvoke(System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo,object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x0006a] in <296872a6734f443990477e3abd954b57>:0 
  at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00083] in <296872a6734f443990477e3abd954b57>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <296872a6734f443990477e3abd954b57>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
Crash! 
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Exception: A serious error occurred in Duplicati: System.Exception: Unable to open a socket for listening, tried ports: 8200
  at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) [0x00227] in <59054a017605435993aba9f724246795>:0  ---> System.Exception: Unable to open a socket for listening, tried ports: 8200
  at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) [0x00227] in <59054a017605435993aba9f724246795>:0 
  at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) [0x002cb] in <59054a017605435993aba9f724246795>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.InternalInvoke(System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo,object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x0006a] in <296872a6734f443990477e3abd954b57>:0 
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HostedInstanceKeeper..ctor (System.String[] args) [0x00098] in <3219859fc3fa41308da204ec423b38a9>:0 
  at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) [0x0028c] in <3219859fc3fa41308da204ec423b38a9>:0 
  at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00083] in <296872a6734f443990477e3abd954b57>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <296872a6734f443990477e3abd954b57>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 

Unhandled Exception:
System.Exception: A serious error occurred in Duplicati: System.Exception: Unable to open a socket for listening, tried ports: 8200

at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HostedInstanceKeeper..ctor (System.String[] args) [0x00098] in <3219859fc3fa41308da204ec423b38a9>:0 
  at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) [0x0028c] in <3219859fc3fa41308da204ec423b38a9>:0 

at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] args) [0x0009c] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager+<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<RunFromMostRecentSpawn>b__0 () [0x00000] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.WrapWithUpdater (Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy, System.Action wrappedFunction) [0x00158] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecentSpawn (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] cmdargs, Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy) [0x0003b] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecent (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] cmdargs, Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy) [0x0001b] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
  at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x0001c] in <3219859fc3fa41308da204ec423b38a9>:0 
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.Exception: A serious error occurred in Duplicati: System.Exception: Unable to open a socket for listening, tried ports: 8200

at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] args) [0x0009c] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager+<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<RunFromMostRecentSpawn>b__0 () [0x00000] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.WrapWithUpdater (Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy, System.Action wrappedFunction) [0x00158] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecentSpawn (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] cmdargs, Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy) [0x0003b] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecent (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] cmdargs, Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy) [0x0001b] in <05d79178ceb2471a8d1b0132f9c55335>:0 
  at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x0001c] in <3219859fc3fa41308da204ec423b38a9>:0 
[root@WorkstationII duplicati]# 

So I stopped duplicati and tried again:

[root@WorkstationII duplicati]# systemctl stop duplicati
[root@WorkstationII duplicati]# /usr/bin/mono /opt/duplicati-latest/Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe --webservice-port=8200
Running Firefox as root in a regular user's session is not supported.  ($XAUTHORITY is /home/dejhost/.Xauthority which is owned by dejhost.)
Running Firefox as root in a regular user's session is not supported.  ($XAUTHORITY is /home/dejhost/.Xauthority which is owned by dejhost.)
ls -al /home/dejhost/.Xauthority
-rw------- 1 dejhost dejhost 58 Mar 28 13:12 /home/dejhost/.Xauthority

The tray-icon appears. When I click “open” in the pop-up, I get:

Firefox is actually not my default-Browser. I use Vivaldi (which is based on Chrome). My system settings confirm that:

I’ll note again that Duplicati team does not package your duplicati. Let me refer to info for Arch.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/duplicati-canary-bin

Now that duplicati-latest has been renamed to duplicati-canary-bin, how do I upgrade?

gets into a package renaming that possibly is causing confusion on top of your install confusion.
Getting in Canary at all was probably not what you wanted, and you should also try solving that.
Unless, of course, you prefer the latest and greatest-except-for-possible-accidental-regressions.

Do you know what you were running before? Did you switch your OS? In Nov 2022, you posted

In June 2022, your situation was:

and you left off wondering what better ways there were to start it. Maybe you found how to get:

PRQ#39138 is the name confusion that was discussed at the AUR duplicati-canary-bin web site.

For your own current name confusion, how many /opt/duplicati* do you have now? Inside each is changelog.txt saying what Duplicati is inside.

seems to line up with one of your installs, which probably means the file gets overwritten unless Arch tools leads you through solution. I don’t know. Do you? Might be wise to stay away for now.

does look like you were using it, but how? Were you in the ignore-the-service mode I’m recently trying to guide you through? All the databases being owned by you suggest either that or a user (you being the user) service with systemd. Some Arch manual documentation on those things is

Autostarting and especially (based on history) On user login / logout. Do those jog any memory?

systemd/User in the Arch manual would also be useful to see if you might have gone in that way.

It’s not a folder. It’s an executable that AUR seems to have removed. For the other folders, take inventory of the /opt/duplicati* as described above, and also figure out what you prefer to be on.

Because the service took 8200, you forced the tray icon to only use 8200, but Linux won’t let it.
Directions from me had a Duplicati stop first, so when you did, tray icon started then got further.

I pretty much guarantee Duplicati doesn’t hardcode the browser, and searched code to be sure.
Default applications in the Arch manual explains the complexity underneath. So no other cases where Firefox pops up, for a clue? While in Firefox (or anything), why not just look at your GUI?

http://localhost:8200

then you’ll see if you see your jobs. Isn’t that the bigger question, compared to the autobrowse?

Getting in Canary at all was probably not what you wanted, and you should also try solving that.
Agreed. I just need to find a way to do so.

Unless, of course, you prefer the latest and greatest-except-for-possible-accidental-regressions.

I installed duplicati-latest using yay, and ended up with canari due to the merging request you pointed out. It was not my intention. I prefer stable releases.

Do you know what you were running before? Did you switch your OS?
Yes. I switched from Manjaro to EOS (both Arch based). EOS has no graphical software package manager. That is the only major difference I noticed up to today. I once followed this guide to install duplicati on manjaro, but I can’t tell when this was.

how many /opt/duplicati* do you have now?

in /opt, there is only one dupli*: It’s the duplicati-latest. Find the changelog below.
changelog.zip (19.7 KB)

which probably means the file gets overwritten unless Arch tools leads you through solution. I don’t know. Do you?
No, sorry. It’s not only the versioning and the installation that is confused at this end… :wink:

So no other cases where Firefox pops up, for a clue?

Firefox does not open up undesirably at any times, but it is mentioned here:

[root@WorkstationII duplicati-latest]# cat /usr/bin/xdg-open |grep firefox
            BROWSER=x-www-browser:firefox:iceweasel:seamonkey:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium:chromium-browser:google-chrome:$BROWSER
[root@WorkstationII duplicati-latest]# 

why not just look at your GUI?
localhost:8200 is constantly open in my browser. I check it after every change. No jobs have been popping up so far.

It’s just a .txt file, reverse-chronological, so you just look at the top and then get a surprise:

2022-06-15 - 2.0.6.104_canary_2022-06-15

You can ls -lc some file there to see if somehow the recent install installed an older Canary.
If so, maybe it tripped over new AUR plan somehow, although I’m not sure of exact outcomes.

Regardless, that’s now neither latest aging Beta, nor bleeding edge Canary. It’s an old Canary.

It sounds like it’s back to About → System info to see what you are looking at now. Key values:

BaseVersionName
ServerVersionName
StartedBy
UserName

… I see the possible problem. You were supposed to start as you to get to your home directory.
If it says UserName root, you’re still in the wrong place and should just run normal start-as-you.

The version check is to see if the now-being-removed update scheme of an initial install version
plus Duplicati-downloaded updates got you something newer, but I think AUR turned them off…

System properties
ServerVersion : 2.0.6.104
ServerVersionName : - 2.0.6.104_canary_2022-06-15
UserName : root

I also get

Don’t do it in a root shell, if you were doing it before. Do it in a shell as you, to get your config.

You can verify with the ps command that there are no others. If port 8200 can’t be obtained, prevous error of not manually shutting down the earlier Duplicati may have happened again.

you’re right. I stopped and started duplicati from terminal (not as root), and it works. My formerly configured backups are back.

Here is what the terminal shows:

[dejhost@WorkstationII ~]$ /usr/bin/mono /opt/duplicati-latest/Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe --webservice-port=8200
Failed to send notification: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'notify-sharp, Version=0.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=2df29c54e245917a' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'notify-sharp, Version=0.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=2df29c54e245917a'
  at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.GtkRunner.NotifyUser (System.String title, System.String message, Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.NotificationType type) [0x00002] in <1b0404a86ad74f6993ac39a67455252e>:0 
Failed to send notification: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'notify-sharp, Version=0.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=2df29c54e245917a' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'notify-sharp, Version=0.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=2df29c54e245917a'
  at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.GtkRunner.NotifyUser (System.String title, System.String message, Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.NotificationType type) [0x00002] in <1b0404a86ad74f6993ac39a67455252e>:0 

This is the duplicati system info:

System properties
ServerVersion : 2.0.7.101
ServerVersionName : - 2.0.7.101_canary_2024-03-08
StartedBy : Tray icon
ServerTime : 2024-04-02T14:24:10.256241+02:00
UserName : dejhost
NewLine :

So this is progress!

Being now on canary is not a good thing. But I’d like to use to opportunity to run a backup…
However, once again the fingerprint-issue is back. Since I already checked the fingerprint earlier, I remove and re-add it in the configuration of the backup. Testing the connection shows me a pop-up: “It works”. But when I run the backup, the same error pops up.

Great! Assuming they look OK (right files, right versions), we now at least know the DB goal.

While looking at your files, are they all in your home directory, or are you going other places?

This has to do with the permission question I’ve been asking. You almost certainly have right permissions to read and write most (maybe all) of your home directory, but beyond that, your abilities might fall short, and it’s more likely for writes than reads, depending on system setup.

Exploring permissions using ls -l or your file manager might help figure out file permissions.
Alternatively you can just run a backup and see if Duplicati is warning about inaccessible files.

Good. It needs to say that, otherwise you don’t have a tray icon, and you want tray icon back.

Good. That’s the usual way to get to a .config/Duplicati – it simply goes by the user it’s run as. There are ways to force another config, such as DUPLICATI_HOME which AUR service uses.

I kind of wonder if you were never on the AUR service, but I don’t know how you ran tray icon.

Make sure the backups look right. Maybe compare database sizes and dates to other spots, to make sure, however if you accidentally use the wrong database, you’ll hear about it really fast, because it won’t match the destination. Don’t just go and run Repair then, as it can do damage.

Some Advanced options on the Destination screen get lost easily. Try putting right fingerprint in Screen 5 Advanced options, or you can search the forum for other answers. I’m going by recall.